Read: Matthew 28:18; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 12:1-3
Let’s take another look at David’s life. We know that he became king despite the attacks and threats he suffered. God, not people or circumstances, determined his future. We also know that he was a good king and that he reigned for 40 years (1 Chronicles 29:27). Knowing this inspires and encourages us. We don’t feel discouraged by every setback David experienced because we know how it turns out.
Today we know more than just that David reigned over Israel for 40 years. We know that God’s promise to him, namely that one of his descendants will sit on his throne forever, was fulfilled in Christ (Acts 2:29-36). We know that Jesus was born of David’s descendants (Luke 3:31-32). We know that He paid for our sins through His complete obedience, death, and resurrection, bringing reconciliation between us and God (Romans 4:25 – 5:1). We know that Jesus conquered, disarmed, and rendered the Enemy harmless (Colossians 2:14-15; Hebrews 5:7-10 and 12:14-15). Through suffering, pain, and shame, He persevered until what God said of Him became a reality (Philippians 2:5-11 and Hebrews 5:7-10 and 12:2-3). We know that Jesus is King for ever and that all power and authority belongs to Him (Matthew 28:18; Ephesians 1:19-23; 1 Corinthians 15:24-28; Revelation 1:4-5). We know that Jesus is the Overcomer! He is King forever!
But Jesus is not just a king. He is our king! He has a relationship with me and I with Him. Listen to what God says in His Word:
- I am one with the King (Romans 6:11 and Colossians 2:9-10).
- He lives in me, and I live in Him (John 15:5 and 1 John 2:2 – 3:1).
- I am a part of His body (1 Corinthians 12:27).
- I am anointed with His Spirit (1 John 2:20 en 27).
- I already rule with Him (Ephesians 2:6).
- In Him, I am already more than an overcomer (Romans 8:37).
- With Him, I am a coheir to all of God’s promises (Romans 8:17).
- I am predestined to be conformed to the image of God (Romans 8:29).
Jesus is therefore not just a King, He is my King. He loves me and holds my desires in His heart. My business is His business. I am safe. Because I know who He is and who I am in Him, I am not scared. I know that the war is over. Therefore I don’t get discouraged. I don’t give up. I will carry on until what He has spoken over me, becomes not just truth, but a reality.
Therefore it’s not just King David’s story that encourages and inspires me. It’s also the story of the Offspring of David, King Jesus, that keeps me going! Because He lives in me, I have hope for tomorrow (Philippians 4:13 and 1 John 4:4).
Think, chat, pray and listen:
- Do you just know about Jesus, or do you really know Him? Do you realise who He is? Do you believe that Jesus is who the Word says He is? (Acc. Romans 10:9 and 1 John 2:22-23).
- Memorise Colossians 2:14-15.
- How do you feel when you read that Jesus has already defeated the devil? That He reigns over the kings and governors of the world?
Our King is on the throne. Nothing and nobody is a threat to Him. Our circumstances are not too much for Him to manage. He reigns! He is good, and He loves us (Romans 8:31-39). Hallelujah!
† Pray that people will believe that Jesus is who the Word says He is: The Son of God who conquered the devil through His death and resurrection.
† Worship Him who sits on the throne and is King forever!